Tuesday, November 2, 2010

the cry of my heart...

What am I learning right now?

As a part of Word of Life [WOL], I am required to do the WOL quiet time. This is used in the Clubs in Local Churches, Bible Institute's, and by all WOL staff around the world. This is such an awesome tool because all over the world people are reading the same passage each day and applying it to their lives. We have been studying in 1 and 2 Samuel for the past few weeks. This morning we read 2 Samuel 11:1-13. This is the very common story about King David and Bathsheba. This morning I realized [which I already knew, but never recognized in this story before] the process of a sin, of David's sin. David's sin began when he continued to look at Bathsheba. It was an accident that he walked out on his balcony at the same time she was bathing and he saw her. But we see he looked, gazed upon her. Then he ever inquired more about her. Then once he knew who she was and that she was married... He sent for her, so he could sleep with her. See this process began with his eyes and continued downward from there. The story continues and we see how King David was trying to cover up his sin by sending for Uriah, Bathsheba's husband. Now lets be honest we all sin. I am learning that all sin is the same. Murder = lying, cheating =sexual immorality, and so on. God sees every sin equal. And if I thought long and hard enough, I could pin point and follow my sinful thought process. Sinning is a choice. David chose to keep looking, David chose to find out more information about Bathsheba, David chose to sleep with her. In the same way I choose to sin. I choose to continue to listen to gossip and not stop it; I choose to tell someone else what I heard. I choose to have a bad attitude and I choose to complain about it to others... and the list goes on. At the thought of sin we should stop.

I also want to share something I am learning personally. Please read the song lyrics below. This is one of my favorite songs.

Cry of My Heart: by Starfield
"There's a cry in my heart


For Your glory to fall
For Your presence to fill up my senses
There's a yearning again
A thirst for discipline
A hunger for things that are deeper

Could You take me beyond?
Could You carry me through?
If I open my heart?
Could I go there with You?
For I've been here before
But I know there's still more
Oh, Lord, I need to know You

For what do I have 
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life 
Could mean any more?
You are my rock
You are my glory
You are the lifter 
Of my head
Lifter of this head"


These lyrics are the story of my life, my desire, the cry of my heart. Many time's in my relationship with the Lord things become normal. But lately, I have been craving so much more. In the song is says, "there's a YEARNING again". Webster's define's yearning as an "intense feeling of loss or lack, longing for something" If you continue reading, the song puts an emphasis on the hearts desire by using words that express a need of survival, such as thirst and hunger. Have you ever been without water for so long that you lack the liquid needed to sustain life? Or have you ever been so hungry that you feel discomfort or weakness because you lacked food? These are the words that are used to describe the longing for discipline and a deeper relationship. 

As a child no one wants to be punished. Growing up, and even now I would never ask my mom to ground me. I don't like not being able to do something I like, and I definitely wouldn't ask for it to be taken away. From working in youth ministry, I have learned that students whose homes lack discipline causes these students to act out. Many times people who show authority over these students gain respect from them. They want to know their actions have consequences. These students long to have organization and discipline. 

This past week I realized I have been longing, yearning for Christ discipline. That statement may seem odd, but if Christ is disciplining me I know that I am more likely to be effected by the situation which will result in change of heart. I thirst for His discipline. I hungry for a deeper relationship with God. We as Christians should never be satisfied with our relationship with Christ... we should always want more.



How are things going here in Hungary?


As always...there are issues that need to worked out and problems that happen, but that is life. This week is off to a great start. Monday was a holiday here in Hungary, so I didn't have to work, and the students didn't have classes. The holiday, November 1st is called "the day of the dead". Everyone lights candles and puts flowers on their loved ones graves who have passed away. It is so beautiful to walk through at night.  This past friday we held an annual leaf raking day. It was lots of fun working along side of the students and cleaning up the property. Sadly enough the next day the ground was covered with leaves again. Below are some pictures that were taken:

Raking Day

 Karol [one of my roommates] and me working hard

Cheeky taking a break to jump into the pile :]  

 everyone working hard [this was taken from one of the Castle's balcony]

 Elyse and I jumping into one of our piles


We had a movie night/dress up party in place of a Halloween party. A friend Nicole and I dressed up as salt and pepper. Below are a few pictures:

 [l to r] Balazs- DEATH, Liz- zombie, Allysa-zombie, Josiah-mummy

pepper-Nicole and salt-me

 the wonderful cake

Eszter the Hippie, and Princess Megan- the Hostess


Winter break is fast approaching. I cannot believe the year is half way over. Students are very excited for break, but for now classes are enjoying the "Life of David" being taught by Dr. Ron Allen [Dallas Theological Seminary]. Second year are also having a "World Religion" class taught by our very own Bible School Director, Paul Weaver. First year also have "Old Testament Survey" with Kadar, Laci which is also a campus professor.


Other RANDOM information:

For those of you who do not know, my sister Jessica is now engaged. :] I am so happy for her and Matt, but I wish I could have been there.

Matt and Jessi

The beautiful RING!



Support is still the same. No new funds have came in, but I am trusting the Lord will provide.


Just as a side note, since this is Random Information section. It has literally taken me all day to complete this post. I began this morning at 10am and its now 4pm. Crazy how many thing distract or interrupt my plans throughout the day. Nonetheless, it's finished!




4 comments:

  1. Funny thing is that in our men's Bible Study last night we were discussing the same text from 2 Samuel! We took a different look at it. Basically David was SUPPOSED to be in battle but he chose to stay home and it got him in trouble. We gotta stay in the battle! Great update and I'm glad things are going well for you. We're looking forward to seeing you at Christmas! Take care.

    Brian Causer

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. thanks for sharing. i just did todays quiet time and then i read your comment. so i went back and reread yesterdays passage. the text says it so clearly. i must have skipped verse 1 yesterday :] it is so true- we need to stay in the battle. thanks again Brian! i'm looking forward to seeing you guys too. its coming so fast!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, We all face the same battles. We have to stay surrendered every day and focused on the Lord. Satan knows our weaknesses and tries to bring us down with him. Your desire to learn and grow closer to the Lord is a blessing. Thank you for sharing.I was in the choir Sunday and Jessica held up her hand to show she had a diamond. They say my expression was a Kodak moment. I thought he was giving her a ring the first of the year. He probably thought we couldn't keep a secret that long. I love all your pictures. It looks like you guys have a good time together. Until next time, Joyce Sorrell

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know. Mama and Jess were telling me about how she showed you!! such a fun idea. Yeah it wanted to push it up because her brother was going to propose to his girlfriend around then, but secretly i think like you, he knew everyone couldn't keep the secret. :] see you soon Mrs. Joyce

    ReplyDelete